The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
4 suspects in London attacks
- Evidence points to suicide bombers

London, July 12: Anti-terrorist police in London said today they believe they have identified the four men who carried out the London bombings which killed at least 52 people and injured 700.

Parts of the media are reporting that the men were home-grown British Muslims and perhaps the country’s first suicide bombers. If the men do turn out to be British Muslims, as now seems more than likely, the chances are they could be of Pakistani origin.

There were three simultaneous explosions on the London Underground on Thursday last week at 8.50 am, followed by a blast on a number 30 bus at 9.47 am.

Police said at least one of the bombers died at the scene of an explosion. Property belonging to other suspects has been found at the scenes of the other explosions.

After a day of raids across West Yorkshire, an area with a large Muslim/Pakistani population, one man has been arrested there and was brought to London for questioning.

Deputy assistant commissioner Peter Clarke, head of Scotland Yard’s anti-terrorist branch, said: “The investigation quite early led us to have concerns about the movement and activities of four men, three of whom came from the West Yorkshire area. We are trying to establish their movements in the run-up to last week’s attack and specifically to establish whether they all died in the explosions.”

He said: “Today we executed six warrants under the Terrorism Act at premises in the West Yorkshire area. These included the home addresses of three of the four men. We know that all four of these arrived in London by train on the morning of Thursday, July 7.”

Clarke revealed that closed-circuit TV footage showed the four men at King’s Cross Station shortly before 8.30 that morning. One of them who had set out from West Yorkshire was reported missing by his family to the casualty bureau.

“We have been able to establish that he was joined on his journey to London by three other men,” Clarke added.

Police have found personal documents bearing the names of three of the four men close to the seats of three of the explosions. Some of the property of the man reported missing was found on the bombed bus in Tavistock Square.

Property of a second man was found at the scene of the Aldgate blast and of a third’s ' with his name ' at the sites of the Aldgate and Edgware Road explosions.

“We have strong forensic evidence that it is very likely that one of the men from West Yorkshire died at the explosion at Aldgate.”


Email This Page