The Telegraph
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Govt respite for seer

New Delhi, July. 11: The Tamil Nadu government today withdrew its appeal in the Supreme Court challenging the granting of bail to Kanchi acharya Jayendra Saraswati in the Radhakrishnan assault case.

A bench of Chief Justice R.C. Lahoti, Justices C.K. Thakker and P.K. Balasubramanyan dismissed the plea “as withdrawn” after the counsel for the state, Subramonium Prasad, said the prosecution does not want to press for an appeal.

Prasad said the appeal had become infructuous as a chargesheet had already been filed in the case and the acharya was facing trial.

The apex court had earlier sought a report on the injuries sustained by Radhakrishnan, who was attacked by a gang allegedly at the instance of the Kanchi pontiff.

In January, the court had said it would like to see the details of the injuries sustained by the “victim” before it proceeded with the state appeal challenging a Madras High Court order granting bail.

The Kanchi pontiff was arrested on November 11 for his alleged role in the Shankar Raman murder case. While in custody he was formally arrested on November 23 again in connection with the 2002 Radhakrishnan assault case.

Top
Email This Page