The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Rebels dump Andhra talks

Hyderabad, Jan. 17: The Communist Party of India (Maoist) and the Jana Shakti group announced their withdrawal from talks with the Andhra Pradesh government today, as last week's encounter killing of eight extremists took its toll on the faltering peace process.

The announcement came within hours of the state government's decision to set the agenda and schedule for the second round of talks.

Naxalite leaders Ramakrishna and Amar, state secretaries of the CPI (Maoist) and the Jana Shakti, declared they were not keen to continue with the talks as the Congress government had deployed the elite Greyhound commando force in the forests to wipe out Maoist activists.

The joint statement released to the media was signed by CPI (Maoist) leaders Ramakrishna, Jampanna and Sudhakar and the Jana Shakti's Amar and Riaz.

All five had come out of their hideouts and held direct talks with the government last October.

'We have seen through the conspiracy of the government to keep us bound by the ceasefire agreement while the police and anti-Naxalite forces run amuck in the forests killing our activists,' the statement said.

The Maoist leaders said the government had violated basic norms of ceasefire and played a double game against them to eliminate the agrarian revolution in the state.

The government, they added, had failed to keep its promises made during last year's election campaign and in the first round of talks and asked activists to thwart the designs of the police and Congress leaders.

In yet another exchange of fire with the police last night, two more Maoists were killed in the jungles of rebel-dominated Warangal district.

The Maoists, who have called a bandh, torched a railway station in Prakasham district, destroying signalling equipment.

The rebels also burnt a bus in Guntur district. They torched another in Kurnool last night.

Email This Page