Calcutta, Jan. 4: The Supreme Court today rejected the combined appeal of the Bengal government and 69 students to reconsider its order cancelling their admission to the MBBS course for paying enhanced fees under the NRI quota last year.
The division bench of Justices Y.K. Sabharwal and P. Noalkar rejected the students' plea ' to which the government was a party ' for a modification of its earlier orders so that they could be inducted into other state-run medical colleges in Bengal, in addition to SSKM in Calcutta and Midnapur Medical College.
However, the judges observed that the students could appear for this year's joint entrance exam without prejudice to their rights in the pending civil appeals. The bench also offered them scope to raise their plea during the final hearing of the appeal, scheduled for month-end or early February.
Around 4.30 pm, a dozen students and their parents reached Writers' Buildings to meet chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee. At the meeting, three girls broke down. 'We will fast unto death if nothing is done for us,' the students said and urged him to take up their case before a larger bench.
Bhattacharjee later said: 'What assurance can I give when the case is in court'
The government said that having complied with the court's previous orders ' of admitting students from the JEE list by removing the 69 ' it should be allowed to induct the quota students into other colleges.