The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
ICC no to best-of-3 final

Melbourne: A proposal to stage a best-of-three final series at the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies has been rejected, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced on Friday.

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed told a news conference that the idea had been discussed but it was decided to stick with a single winner-takes-all match.

“There were some who supported (a best-of-three final), including me, but the sense in the end was that the cricket World Cup is about one match, sudden-death, best team on the day wins the World Cup,” Speed said.

Speed confirmed that organisers had agreed to use a new, expanded format in 2007 with the 16 teams split into four pools.

The top two from each pool would proceed to a Super Eight phase from which the top four would advance to the sudden-death semi-finals.

This is a departure from the format used at this year’s World Cup in South Africa when 14 teams were divided into two pools of seven with the top three from each pool going to the next stage. (Reuters)

Top
Email This Page