The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Rameez condemns Latif
- ‘If he had grievances he should have discussed them with us’

Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif is in trouble with the country’s cricket authorities again and could face a year’s ban.

The Pakistan Cricket Board’s disciplinary committee has been asked to investigate an alleged violation of the Code of Conduct by Latif, PCB chief executive Rameez Raja said on Sunday.

The 35-year old wicketkeeper had criticised PCB selection policies on a private television channel last week after he was overlooked for the one-day series against New Zealand.

“He is under our contractual obligation until December 24 and is not allowed to criticise the Board or its policies,” Rameez said. “Even otherwise, he is a former captain and is expected to behave in a dignified manner and not embarrass Pakistan cricket If he had grievances he should have discussed them with us instead of going on air with them,” Rameez added.

Latif stepped down as captain before the recent series against South Africa.

“I have accepted in my reply that I have violated the Code of Conduct,” said Latif, who has played 37 Tests and 166 one-day Internationals. Latif has been in trouble with cricket authorities before.

Last August, he was pardoned by the PCB after apologising for writing a letter directly to the International Cricket Council on match-fixing. He was left out of the Pakistan team for three years from 1998 after his role in exposing the match-fixing scandal in the country.

Meanwhile, Pakistan coach Javed Miandad is targeting a clean sweep of the five-match ODI series versus New Zealand starting next week.

“We will give all respect to New Zealand as any international team demands. But we must not look for anything short of a 5-0 sweep,” Miandad said on Sunday.

A new-look New Zealand squad, including seven players without any one-day International experience, arrives in Lahore on Friday for matches in Lahore, Faisalabad and Rawalpindi.

The New Zealand selectors were forced to announce the inexperienced squad after Craig McMillan, Scott Styris, Lou Vincent and Ian Butler pulled out of the tour due to security concerns. Captain Stephen Fleming, batsman Nathan Astle and fast bowler Shane Bond were ruled out with injuries.

Miandad, however, warned his players against complacency.

“We didn’t even take Bangladesh lightly and we are not going to take this New Zealand side easy either. Limited overs cricket is very unpredictable and it takes one good performance to turn the match upside down,” he said.

Top
Email This Page