The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Pak announce revised schedule

Karachi: Pakistan on Tuesday announced a revised itinerary for the New Zealand cricket tour after postponing the series by one week in the wake of threats of violence.

New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has agreed to the new schedule proposed by the Pakistan Cricket Board, the PCB announced in a statement. “NZC confirmed the revised schedule of their tour to Pakistan ... and have expressed their satisfaction following extensive discussions on security and safety issues with us,” the statement said.

The Black Caps will arrive in Lahore on November 27 to play five one-day matches to make up for last year’s tour, which was cancelled after a suicide bomber killed 14 people outside the players’ hotel in Karachi.

This month’s tour was thrown into doubt after four New Zealand players pulled out in response to an anonymous email threatening violence if they played during the Muslim holy month of Ramazan, due to end around November 26.

Captain Stephen Fleming, was the fifth player who pulled out citing injury, after Craig McMillan, Scott Styris, Ian Butler and Lou Vincent.

Speaking to reporters at the Auckland Airport on Tuesday, Fleming said he would get his injury assessed in Christchurch. “I’ve come home because it is hard to get a diagnosis in India. But if it comes right in the next week I’ll definitely be in the time frame for the tour (of Pakistan).”

Meanwhile, Pakistani police said that they had traced the email to a sender using an Internet cafe in Lahore and launched a hunt for the suspect. “Police have questioned staff of the cafe and they are now looking for the suspect,” said Karachi police chief Asad Ashraf Malik.


Nov. 27: Arrival; Nov. 29: 1st ODI, Lahore (D/N); Dec. 1: 2nd ODI, Lahore ((D/N)); Dec. 3: 3rd ODI, Faisalabad; Dec. 5: 4th ODI, Rawalpindi ((D/N)); Dec. 7: 5th ODI, Rawalpindi ((D/N).

Email This Page