The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Warden held for death

Siliguri, Nov. 1: Twelve days after the death of Totan Saha, a student of St Michael’s School on the outskirts of Siliguri, police arrested the school’s dormitory warden late last night.

Champak Mukherjee was produced in court today and released on bail. Mukherjee has been arrested under Section 304 (A) of the Indian Penal Code for criminal negligence and culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Thirteen-year-old Totan died on October 19 under mysterious circumstances. He allegedly fell on the bathroom floor and started to bleed. He was declared brought dead after being taken to a nursing home.

On October 22, Tapan Saha, the boy’s father, lodged a complaint with the Bhaktinagar police station alleging negligence on the part of the school authorities.

“The school authorities have not offered us any satisfying explanation as to what led to my son’s death. They have tried to hush up the matter. We suspect foul play. If they are not guilty, why are they not confronting us' Why did they not inform us when Totan was not well for the good part of that day' I did not send my child there to die in such a manner,” Saha said.

Saha’s plea was taken up by organisations like the Association for Protection of Democratic Rights and the district youth Congress and a deputation was submitted to several high-ranking officials.

The authorities at St Michael’s School, who have so far maintained silence on the issue, today denied that there was any negligence on their part.

“We have inquired and found out that the child was ill since the last four days before the date of the incident. He was also in the possession of some kind of medicine with him, which was not made known to us.

“On that fatal day, he rested the whole day in the sick room. We thought he must have had a muscle pull since he played a lot. Our nurses were taking care of him. When he came out of the bathroom at night after dinner, he began to bleed from the nose. We then informed his parents and took him to Sunrise Nursing Home. That is all what has happened and we are ourselves confused as to how such a thing could happen.” the principal of the school, Anjan Chakraborty, said.

Email This Page