The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Johnson gets England call

London: Somerset’s Richard Johnson will replace injured Lancashire paceman James Anderson for England’s Test series in Bangladesh, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Monday.

Johnson, already in the one-day squad for Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, replaces the 21-year-old Anderson after the rising star of English cricket was ruled out last week of the first leg of the winter tour programme with a knee injury.

But Anderson could return in time for the subsequent three-Test series in Sri Lanka.

Former Middlesex seamer Johnson, 28, whose own career has been blighted by injuries, including a groin problem that saw him miss the home series against South Africa, took six for 33 on his Test debut against Zimbabwe at Durham’s Riverside ground in June.

England’s chairman of selectors, David Graveney, explaining the decision to call up Johnson, said: “Richard produced an outstanding performance against Zimbabwe at Durham in his first Test match and deserves an opportunity to press for a place in the Test side again.

“James Kirtley was our nominated stand-by bowler for the Test squad, but we have decided not to call on him at this stage in order to give him more time to recover from a shin injury ahead of the one-day series in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka”, Graveney said.

Email This Page