The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Italy turn to taste blackout

Rome, Sept. 28 (Reuters): A nationwide power blackout in Italy hit virtually the whole population in the dead of night today, unleashing chaos, stalling lifts and stranding travellers.

Only one death was unofficially attributed to the outage, however: a man killed in a traffic accident at an intersection where the lights had failed.

Almost all of the country’s 57 million people were affected — more than in last month’s collapse in the US northeast and Canada. But coming on a weekend night its initial impact was less dramatic and caused less economic damage.

“It’s chaos, and until the electricity comes back on it will continue to be chaos,” said policeman Fabio Bragazzi, 21, at Rome’s main Termini train station where passengers, among some 30,000 stranded across the country, slept on the ground.

It was the fourth major Western blackout in two months, after cuts in North America, parts of London and Scandinavia. By late afternoon today, 13 hours after the blackout hit, a handful of Italy’s 103 provinces were still without some power, mostly remote areas in the south.

Authorities blamed the outage on a breakdown of electricity lines, some in heavy storms, from France, Switzerland and Austria — neighbours on whom Italy relies heavily for power.

A Swiss power firm said a tree, uprooted by strong winds, had knocked out a line carrying power to Italy over the Alps.

Rome’s underground railway had to be evacuated and the outage marred a special “open night” in the city where shops, tourist sites and museums were to stay open until daybreak.

Hundreds were blocked in elevators across the country. But with most people asleep and emergency generators kicking in for hospitals and key services, the impact was muted. Authorities said precautionary power cuts could hit about 5 per cent of households tomorrow.

Italy’s worst blackout for nearly a decade, which struck at 0120 GMT, hit all Italy except the island of Sardinia and some small pockets of the mainland, officials said.

Officials first blamed it on the breakdown of two big lines from France, which provides critical supplies and up to a fifth of Italy’s needs at night, during severe storms.

But they later said lines from Switzerland and Austria also failed, apparently helping to trigger the blackout, which also briefly hit an adjacent Swiss region.

“It was an exceptional, extraordinary event,” Andrea Bollino, chairman of Italy’s grid operator GRTN.

France’s grid operator RTE said the blackout started with four successive line failures between Switzerland and Italy.

Power was expected to be up in all of Italy before tomorrow, industry minister Antonio Marzano said.

Top
Email This Page