Johannesburg: South Africa will go ahead with their tour of Pakistan on condition that the country’s authorities follow their stated security plan, the United Cricket Board (UCB) said on Thursday.
[That South Africa have agreed to play in the disputed venues of Karachi and Peshawar, was first reported by The Telegraph on Wednesday.]
The tour, which starts next week, was in jeopardy after the UCB asked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to amend the itinerary following advice from the South African government not to send the team to Karachi and Peshawar, two cities viewed as potential security risks.
The PCB refused and a UCB security delegation visited Pakistan to assess player safety.
A joint media release from the UCB and the South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA) said the decision to tour had been taken after a meeting of the two organisations, team members, management and the security delegation.
“Following these discussions, the UCB and SACA are pleased to confirm that the South African team will indeed depart for Pakistan on Sunday,” the release said.
“The UCB has emphasised, however, that the continuation of the tour is specifically conditional upon the Pakistan authorities in fact implementing their stated security plan on an ongoing basis and also upon the security risk in Pakistan not escalating to the extent that it is unacceptable.”
“This is great news for Pakistan cricket and the Pakistani people,” PCB chairman Tauqir Zia said in a statement.