The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Bullet truck hunt off target

Sleuths from the city, now parked in Guwahati to track down the owner of the truck from which 25,000 bullets were recovered in the port area last week, drew a blank on Wednesday. The hunt, from false-alarm pillar to fictitious post, yielded nothing through the day.

Soumen Mitra, deputy commissioner of police, detective department, admitted to the day’s disappointment, but added: “It seems the probe will take time. Our officers are camping there and we will not withdraw them.”

The name and address of the truck owner, touted as the “first breakthrough” by Lalbazar following the bullet bust last Monday, added up to nothing as the vehicle had changed hands two years ago.

Mitra said Telco had confirmed that Mohan Garg, a resident of Guwahati, had purchased the truck in 1996. “We despatched two teams which found Garg, who said he had sold the vehicle two years ago,” Mitra added. The sleuths then dug up the name and address of S.M. Thangal, a resident of Assam Trunk Road, who was supposed to have bought the rogue truck from Garg.

But there was no Thangal to be found. “Instead, there was someone called Surinder Agarwal at the address given by the motor vehicles department and he had no idea about the truck,” said an officer of the detective department.

Mitra said the sleuths from Calcutta had not alerted their counterparts in Guwahati about the hunt for the fugitive truck.

Top
Email This Page