The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Connors planning legends doubles

New York: Jimmy Connors hopes to gather fellow-American tennis legends John McEnroe, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi for a battle of the generations in December at Las Vegas.

The showdown of tennis legends is planned for December with American television coverage helping finance prize money of $ 1 million to the winning duo and half of that to the losers.

“It’s very promising,” Connors said. “It’s a matter of getting the guys to play. The activities of getting it on television are proceeding.”

The doubles duel would see McEnroe and Connors combine against Sampras and Agassi.

“I had better get back into a little bit of shape in case that happens,” said Connors, who turned 51 last week.

Meanwhile, Martina Navratilova failed in her bid to become the oldest winner of a US Open title on Sunday when she and partner Svetlana Kuznetsova were beaten in the women’s doubles final 6-2 6-3 by Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez, as reported in Monday’s Late City edition.

Jonas Bjorkman and Todd Woodbridge beat Bob and Mike Bryan 5-7, 6-0, 7-5 to win the men’s doubles title and keep their 100 per cent record in Grand Slam finals intact. The victory gave Woodbridge his 77th career doubles title, moving him level on the all-time list with John McEnroe and just one short of the record 78 held by Dutchman Tom Okker.

In the mixed doubles, however, Bob teamed up with Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia to beat Russia’s Lina Krasnoroutskaya and Canada’s Daniel Nestor 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 to capture the mixed doubles title. (AFP)

Top
Email This Page