The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Warne faces training bans

Melbourne: The problems refuse to leave Shane Warne alone. In the latest development, he could soon be prevented from training with national, state and club teams after new advice to Cricket Australia (CA) from the Australian government.

Cricket Australia said on Thursday it would seek talks with the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) next week over the tough stance that it was unacceptable for Warne to train while serving his 12-month ban for taking a banned diuretic.

Under the CA’s anti-doping policy, that would cover national, state and district training.

Warne’s brother and manager Jason said on Thursday he was “very disappointed” at the government’s advice.

“It’s something we have to look into, because it conflicts with the information we’ve had over the last few months,” Jason Warne said.

Federal sports minister Rod Kemp said in parliament last week he would ask the ASC to consult with CA to ensure the highest anti-doping standards were maintained in the Warne case.

This latest blow for Warne will be high on the agenda at CA’s two-day board meeting, which starts here on Friday. CA chief executive James Sutherland is also likely to meet with the ASC and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA).

“Our own interpretation has been that training can be permissible in certain circumstances, such as when a suspended player is giving rather than receiving help, as long as there is no material assistance such as travel, accommodation or provision of equipment,” Sutherland said in a statement.

“Cricket Australia, ACA and the ASC have the same starting point, which is a determination that there is no place for doping in cricket, but implementation of this ideal needs discussion.”

Warne trained with the Victorian state team this week and was planning to work out with the national squad. His 12-month ban expires on February 10, 2004.

The news continues a bad month for Warne after a South African woman Helen Cohen Alon accused him of sending her lewd text messages on her mobile phone. Three years ago, Warne lost the Australian vice-captaincy after admitting he made similar phone calls to a British nurse.

Top
Email This Page