The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Cellphone explodes in Amsterdam

Amsterdam, Aug. 21 (Reuters): A 33-year-old Dutch woman sustained slight face and neck burns after her mobile phone burst into flames, the Amsterdam police said today.

The incident, which occurred yesterday, happened after the woman dropped her phone in a music store in central Amsterdam.

It caught fire when she picked it up and switched it back on, a police spokesperson said. She was treated for superficial burns by an ambulance team that rushed to the scene.

“The battery got hot and then the phone burst into flames. It was a Nokia.

“We later heard she had used a replacement battery,” said Jan Willem van Hofwegen of Fame Music store.

A Nokia spokesperson in Helsinki said similar incidents have happened in the past and were always related to faulty batteries from independent electronics manufacturers.

“We’ve heard about phones that overheated, melted and, in the worst case, exploded,” he said. “In all cases it was caused by a replacement battery which was not a Nokia accessory. The manufacturers violated security requirements.”

Top
Email This Page