London: Nasser Hussain, who resigned as England captain after the first Test against South Africa, has told the England selectors he will be available for selection for next week’s third Test.
Hussain’s availability was welcomed by the chairman of selectors, David Graveney, as there had been speculation the Essex batsman would follow pace bowler Darren Gough’s example and announce his retirement.
“It’s good news for everyone,” Graveney told the BBC’s website on Wednesday.
Hussain, 35, surprised most observers by resigning his post after last Monday’s drawn first Test against South Africa at Edgbaston. South Africa crushed England by an innings and 92 runs in the second Test at Lord’s on Sunday.
The third Test starts at Trent Bridge on August 14.