The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page

Bryant case draws threats

Los Angeles: The FBI is investigating threats being made against the Eagle County district attorney’s office that issued sexual assault charges against basketball star Kobe Bryant.

“We are concerned, but I can’t say anymore,” said office spokeswoman Krista Flannigan. She told the Denver Post that the threats targeted everyone from District Attorney Mark Hurlbert to staffers, but she declined to elaborate on the nature of the threats.

She said she didn’t know when the FBI launched its investigation, but said threats “began in earnest” after Hurlbert charged Bryant on July 18 in connection with a June 30 incident involving a 19-year-old woman.

Bryant, 24, is one of the most popular players in the NBA. He has admitted having sex with the woman, but denies assault.

Real to earn $9.1m from Asia Tour

Kunming: Marketing officials from Spain’s champion side Real Madrid said on Sunday that the team will pull in eight million euros ($9.1 million) from their jaunt through Asia. The side stands to earn about two million euros per exhibition match during its four-country tour, said Stephan Attias, chief of Real’s marketing partner Asia Sports Development.

Real Madrid kicked off its money-spinning tour on Saturday in China’s southwestern Yunnan province. Hong Kong, Japan and Thailand follow after a multimillion-dollar exhibition match in Beijing on August 2 against a Chinese all-star side.

Rider fails dope test

Paris: A Tour de France rider failed a dope test for the performance-enhancing drug EPO, Tour deputy director Daniel Baal said on Sunday. Baal did not name the rider and said analysis on the B sample of the urine test was underway.

Tour organisers refused to elaborate on the news, saying they were waiting for official notification from the international cycling union (UCI).

But other sources close to the Tour organisation said it was not a “major” rider and his team had been advised of the result on Thursday.

Becks, dad fall out

London: David Beckham and his dad Ted Beckham have fallen out over the star’s decision to move to Spain under a £25 million transfer to Real Madrid and not to invite him for the signing ceremony. The 53-year-old Ted wanted his son to stay with Manchester United. But today that seems to count for nothing as Becks sets out to become the world’s first billionaire footballer.

In an interview published in the Sunday Mirror, Ted said: “My biggest upset was not being invited to his signing. I’m choked really. I’ve been there since day one and that really upset me. I’ll never forgive him for that.”

Soccer-crazy Ted was hoping that David might get a clause in his contract saying that flights for his dad to home matches in Madrid would be paid for. But he knows that’s another dream that has gone up in smoke, the report in the tabloid said.

Rooney out of action

Liverpool: Wayne Rooney will miss the start of the English Premiership season and at least one England international after being ruled out for a month with an ankle ligament injury. The 17-year-old Everton striker was stretchered off after 36 minutes of a pre-season friendly against Rangers in Glasgow on Saturday. Everton physio Mick Rathbone told the club’s website on Sunday that a scan had revealed ligament damage.

n Cycling, Tour de France: Highlights from 1.30 pm on ESPN n Soccer, FA Premier League Asia Cup: Birmingham vs Newcastle from 3.00 pm and Malaysia vs Chelsea from 5.30 pm on ESPN n Cricket, South Africa in England: First Test, Day V, live from 3.15 pm on STAR Sports

Email This Page