The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Kallis loses father, to rejoin squad

Johannesburg: Allrounder Jacques Kallis is expected to rejoin his South Africa teammates on their tour of England following the death of his father on Wednesday.

Kallis will miss the first Test which starts at Edgbaston on Thursday after returning home immediately after the tri-series earlier this month to be with his father Henry, who was suffering from lung cancer.

“This is a terribly sad and difficult time for both Jacques and Janine, who have suffered along with their father for some time,” United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) chief executive officer Gerald Majola said in a statement.

“Jacques has always named his dad as his biggest influence and mentor and Henry gave his everything to support both his children. Our thoughts are with them,” he said.

No date has been set for Kallis’ return. The second Test at Lord’s starts next week, with the third of the five-game series starting on August 14 at Trent Bridge.

South Africa skipper Graeme Smith told a news conference: “We have given him free rein... When he feels ready to rejoin us we’ll gladly take him back.”

The 27-year-old Kallis is South Africa’s in-form batsman, as well as a genuine allrounder.

He hit back-to-back centuries during the one-day triangular series against England and Zimbabwe, averaging 109.66 during the tournament.

Kallis averages more than 50 in Tests and has also taken 174 wickets at 30.43 each.

Top
Email This Page