The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Fitzgerald backs Hewitt

Melbourne: Former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt will be back to his best for the Davis Cup semi-final tie against Switzerland in September, Australia’s captain John Fitzgerald said on Monday.

The 22-year-old Australian was beaten in the first round at Wimbledon by Croatian Ivo Karlovic and slumped last week from second to fifth in the 12-month ATP rankings.

“He’s enough of a professional to bounce back and it was a very unusual match-up for him,” Fitzgerald said.

“It took a guy who was six foot 10 (2.08 metres) and serving like a genius to beat him.

“Also the (Wimbledon centre) court is very green on the first day and it turned into a different game.

“If he won that game, he would have done very, very well at Wimbledon because he was hitting the ball so well.”

World No.3 Roger Federer beat Melbourne-born Mark Philippoussis in the Wimbledon final earlier this month and Fitzgerald said the Australians would be expecting big things from the Swiss.

“Now that he’s broken through for his first Grand Slam he’ll be very hard to stop from here,” Fitzgerald said.

“It’s a difficult ask to beat him, but form’s a funny thing. It comes and goes.

“I hope by September our guys are peaking and Roger’s not.”

The tie takes place between September 19-21 tie at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena.

Email This Page