The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Boycott happy with recovery

London: England cricket legend Geoffrey Boycott revealed on Monday that he is hopeful of winning his battle against cancer.

“I’m in remission. So far so good. It looks as though the treatment has worked at the moment. I have check-ups every month to see if it has,” said the former Yorkshire and England opener who has been battling throat cancer.

However, he cautioned that it could be several years before doctors could give him the all-clear and his specialist had advised him not to return to work. “My oncologist is not keen for me to work yet — and she’s the boss.

“The treatment is finished. I’m not saying anymore because I don’t want to tempt providence,” Boycott told the Yorkshire Post.

The 62-year-old has undergone several months chemotherapy and radiotherapy, losing two stones and was unable to take solid food.

Boycott was speaking as he attended a charity cricket match in Leeds where he was accompanied by wife Rachael.

He admitted that he is still coming to terms with his life-or-death battle with cancer. “It’s tough having cancer. It comes as a big shock to everybody.”

Email This Page