London, June 22 (PTI): His soccer superstar status and drop-dead looks notwithstanding, David Beckham failed to grab even a walk-on role in a Hollywood flick after faring poorly in the screen test.
The England skipper, now with Real Madrid, learnt it the hard way when he was told during his promotional tour of America that his acting was so bad he would not even get a walk-on part.
The glamourous soccer hero, who spent a week in the US with his wife and two children earlier this month, went for a secret screen test but was told he had no future as an actor and should stick to playing football, according to a report in The Mail on Sunday.
“The screen test was a complete flop and it would be fair to say Beckham should stick to soccer,” the tabloid said quoting a source close to the star.
Beckham, currently on Asia tour, had hoped to land himself a small role as part of the couple’s bid to conquer America. He, along with wife Victoria, today reached Bangkok.
There was speculation that Victoria, a former Spice Girl, was keen to get her husband involved after she was told that if they became known in the US, there was scope for added promotional work which is already earning the soccer star more than £50 million a year.
Victoria has tried to launch her own film career in America and a source said she was close to signing for a part.
A spokesman for Beckham denied that the soccer star had taken a test but did hint about Victoria featuring in a movie. “It’s far more likely that you will see Victoria in a film role, not David.”