The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Mauresmo, Safin pull out with injuries

Paris: Amelie Mauresmo, seeded six, has pulled out of Wimbledon, her spokeswoman Marie-Claude Previtali said on Friday.

The Frenchwoman is struggling with a rib injury that is hindering her service.

Mauresmo reached the semi-finals last year and was due to play a qualifier in the first round next week.

Her place in the draw will be taken by Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova, who has been seeded 33rd. Lucky loser Seda Noorlander of The Netherlands will fill Kuznetsova’s spot.

Mauresmo, the French No. 1, missed the Australian Open in January because of a knee injury.

Doubts about Wimbledon had surfaced after she was beaten in the second round of the Ordina Open in Den Bosch on Wednesday.

Previtali said over telephone that Mauresmo had undergone tests on Thursday before making her decision on Friday morning after discussion with coach Loic Courteau.

“Amelie is looking to resume training to be ready in time for the Fed Cup which takes place after Wimbledon,” she said.

France have reached the Fed Cup quarter finals where they meet Spain on July 19-20.

Russian stays out

The men’s draw also suffered a casualty when 18th seed Marat Safin pulled out with a wrist injury. The Russian injured his left wrist at the Australian Open in January when he had to withdraw from his third-round match against German Rainer Schuettler. He also missed the French Open because of the injury.

Safin won the 2000 US Open and ended 2002 ranked No. 3 in the world after helping Russia win the Davis Cup, but his absence this year means his ranking has dropped to 20th.

Top
Email This Page