Madrid: Real Madrid coach Vicente del Bosque says he is keen to remain in his job despite criticism in the wake of his side’s Champions League elimination.
Del Bosque came under heavy fire from the Spanish press following his side’s defeat by Juventus in the semi-finals last week and there has been speculation the club have been sounding out other coaches.
President Florentino Perez hinted last month that he would extend the 52-year-old’s contract as coach, but the matter now appears to have been put on hold until the end of the season.
“I am rather embarrassed that there has been so much talk about my future,” Del Bosque told Spanish state television on Tuesday. “I am not bothered if they are looking at other options because the ultimate aim is to ensure Real improve as a team and deciding who will be the Real Madrid coach is an important decision.
“I suppose they are weighing up the pros and cons at the moment and I have no idea what chances I have of staying on as coach.
“All I know is that I am keen and hope to remain as coach, but for the moment I am focusing on the league and aiming to make sure we win an important trophy this season.”
The unassuming former player has steered Real to two European Cups and a Spanish championship since taking over from John Toshack in November 1999.
With four games left this season Real lie second in the league, one point behind leaders Real Sociedad as they seek to recapture the championship they last won two seasons ago. (Reuters)