The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
MLA alleges cadre raid

Basanti (South 24-Parganas) May 19: The panchayat election is over, not the aftermath. RSP leader and legislator from the area Subhas Naskar said motorcycle-borne miscreants raided his house this morning.

The youths, alleged to be CPM cadre, hurled bombs and fired from revolvers, he said. They asked for Naskar’s nephew Sekhar. Also an RSP supporter, Sekhar had been absconding since the May 11 election.

The district police chief initially rubbished the allegations. Superintendent of police D.K. Ganguly said: “My officers have investigated most of the complaints and found them baseless. I have requested leaders of all parties to help restore peace.”

Though stunned by the reaction, Naskar approached the police again in the evening. It bore some fruit. A picket was set up outside his house. Ganguly said he will send more officers to probe the charges.

Around 7 am, 10 youths surrounded Naskar’s house and called out for Sekhar. When no one came out, they attacked, said the district RSP secretary.

Naskar said the CPM youths had been targeting him and his nephew for some time. “Today, they were determined to kill us. When they found none of us there, they left the place threatening to eliminate us later. We are lucky to be living. I have informed the party leaders in Calcutta,” Naskar said.

At Saturday’s peace meeting in Alipore, in presence of the district secretary of the CPM, leaders of the RSP and Ganguly, it was decided that arrangements would be made to ensure that political activists who were forced to flee homes before the panchayat election could return home.

“Just the opposite happened after some of them actually started coming back,” said Naskar.

CPM district secretary Santimoy Bhattacharya said: “I have asked them (the RSP leaders) to give their complaints in writing so that they can be sorted out across the table.”

Top
Email This Page