Oakland (California): Lleyton Hewitt plans to go ahead with a lawsuit against the ATP unless the organisation issues a public apology and admits wrongdoing in levying a fine against him, his agent said on Thursday.
However, the governing body for men’s tennis said it was not running scared from Hewitt’s threat of legal action if they did not waive the $20,000 fine an appeals committee imposed on the Australian for failing to show for an interview with host broadcaster ESPN at last year’s Masters Series in Cincinnati.
“As far as we’re concerned, the matter is resolved,” ATP vice president of communications Matthew Rapp said. “We feel that the matter has been comprehensively addressed, the process has been followed and as far as we’re concerned, is concluded.”
The ATP found Hewitt in violation of its STARS Program and as a result, Hewitt was automatically fined one-half of the prize money he earned in Cincinnati, or $105,650, subject to his right to appeal the finding of a violation and the amount of the penalty.
Lawyers acting for Hewitt have said that they would file the $1.5 million suit in the South Australian Supreme Court in June unless the matter could be resolved. (Reuters)