Red light to Rivaldo dream
Liverpool: Liverpool Monday dashed Rivaldo’s dreams of a move to Anfield.
Rivaldo, who has been struggling to hold down his first-team place at AC Milan, said that he would be interested in a move to the Premiership.
“If I could choose my next team, and if they want me, it will be Liverpool,” he told the News of the World newspaper. Rivaldo, 30, said that he believed he had a lot to offer the club.
But Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier said that he was not interested in signing a player like Rivaldo.
“Don’t get me wrong, Rivaldo is a fantastic player, but bringing in high-profile players is not the way I work,” said Houllier.
“They cost a lot of money for a limited number of years and I don’t like that kind of risk.”
Confederations Cup criticised
Paris: France defender Mikael Silvestre has criticised the Confederations Cup, saying it leads to player burnout and affects the national team’s performance in major competitions, a report said Sunday.
Fifa has earmarked France to play in the Confederations Cup, which begins in Paris on June 18. France could play up to five games if it reaches the tournament final at the Stade de France on June 29.
“I don’t think the (Confederations) Cup is a good thing,” the website of L’Equipe, the French sports daily, quoted Silvestre as saying. “We did not play well in the last World Cup because we were tired physically from the previous season. We have to learn our lesson.”
Lazio fans’ demand
Rome: Hundreds of hard-core ‘ultras’, fans of Serie A side Lazio gathered outside the prison here Sunday demanding the release of eight of their members held for violence during a match.
Twelve Lazio supporters were arrested last week by anti-terrorist forces for vandalism in the capital on August 31 during a friendly match against rivals Juventus.
Eight have been detained and face various charges relating to the wrecking of offices and burning of cars around Rome’s main stadium including Italian Olympic Committee offices nearby.
Pneumonia risk cuts short meet
Zurich: The women’s world ice hockey championship in Beijing early next month has been cancelled because of the health risks caused by Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), the sport’s governing body said on Sunday.
The International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) said it was “extraordinarily concerned” and decided to cancel the April 3-9 championships in China after further consultation with its chief medical officer.
SARS is a mysterious, and potentially fatal, pneumonia that is believed to have originated in China. It has killed more than 50 people around the world.
n Golf: Indian Open highlights from 4.30pm on STAR Sports n Tennis: ATP Masters Series from 6.30pm on STAR Sports n Soccer: Premier League, Bolton Wanderers vs Tottenham Hotspur from 8am on ESPN