The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page

Waqar lashes out at selectors

Islamabad: Sacked Pakistan captain Waqar Younis has lashed out against the new selection committee for leaving him out of the team for next month’s tri-nation meet in Sharjah, asserting that he alone could not be held responsible for Pakistan’s debacle in the World Cup.

“I am not alone responsible for the debacle, the other seniors are equally responsible but surprisingly they are ‘rested’ and I am ‘dropped’,” Waqar was quoted as saying by The Dawn.

Waqar, alongwith six of his teammates including Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar, were left out of the 16-member team for the Sharjah tournament.

While announcing the team led by Rashid Latif, the newly appointed chief selector Aamir Sohail had categorically mentioned that Waqar had been dropped while Akram, Shoaib, Inzamam-ul Haq, Saqlain Mushtaq and Saeed Anwar were ‘rested’.

Meet too long, admits Bacher

Johannesburg: World Cup supremo Ali Bacher admitted Saturday the 44-day tournament was “too long” even though he supported adding more non-Test playing nations to the fold.

“I think there is a scope to add two more teams although I personally feel the tournament was too long,” Bacher told Sky Sports.

“Kenya making the semi-finals has signalled the game is growing in Africa with more black people taking up the sport. When I met former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke during the Sydney Olympics, he asked me how long the World Cup would be.

“When I told him 44 days, he said ‘Ali, that’s going to an event of biblical proportions.’ He was right.”

Bacher was pleased with the fact that the tournament, which began on February 8 with the opening ceremony in Cape Town, will end with what he believed was going to be a “dream final.”

Tickets at $ 1875

Johannesburg: Tickets for Sunday’s final between Australia and India were being sold on the black market for $1,875 as thousands of fans made a last-minute scramble to watch the big game.

In newspaper classifieds this week, one ticket was being sold for $1,875 while there have been some odd requests in the run-up to the high-profile final at the Wanderers.

“Four guys from India came this week and offered to pay 1,000,000 rand each ($125,000) for a suite taking about 34 people,” said Alan Kourie, the chief executive of Gauteng Cricket Board which runs the Wanderers. “They said money was no object but all 192 suites at the stadium are full and we had to turn them away.” Most of the demand for tickets is from Indians, who have flown in not only from across South Africa to watch Sachin Tendulkar taking on the Australians but also from various parts of India.

South African Airways and Air India laid on special flights to ferry the fans from India, many of them arriving without match tickets.

Email This Page