The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Cell firms soften stand, next meeting on March 13

New Delhi, March 3 (PTI): The cellular operators are willing to accept “some degree” of limited mobility services, subject to certain conditions, and the group constituted by communications minister Arun Shourie would now meet on March 13 for discussing the WiLL issue.

“So far the cellular operators had not accepted the idea of limited mobility in any form. But now they are willing to accept some degree of limited mobility provided certain conditions are met,” telecom secretary, Vinod Vaish told reporters after a three-hour long meeting of the group here.

Regarding the conditions demanded by the cellular operators, Vaish said these related to confining the WiLL services within the short distance call areas (SDCA) and also that mobile switching centres (MSC) should not be used.

On the controversial multiple registration system (MRS) offering, Vaish said that while the basic operators wanted MRS offering to be spread across all SDCAs, the cellular players wanted the number of SDCAs to be limited.

The group would continue its discussions and try to find a “commonality” for enforcing WiLL in the interim, he said, adding that the real solution to the problem lay in a “long term formula” which in turn would have to be decided in a transparent forum.

According to sources an industry meeting is likely to be held this week or early next week in Mumbai.

Top
Email This Page