The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This Page
Warne not to appeal 12-month ban

Melbourne: Shane Warne announced on Wednesday he would not appeal against the 12-month doping ban he received last week although he added he had no plans to retire.

But while the Australian leg-spinner described his punishment as “very harsh”, the official findings of the ACB anti-doping tribunal, published on Wednesday, said he had been reckless in taking a banned diuretic.

“Although I find this penalty very harsh and I am extremely disappointed that this has happened, I have decided that I no longer want to put my family under even more stress. Enough is enough,” Warne said in a statement.

The 33-year-old, one of Wisden’s five cricketers of the 20th century, was sent home from the World Cup two weeks ago after testing positive for a diuretic, which can be used to disguise the use of other drugs.

Warne said he had taken a fluid-reducing tablet to improve his appearance without knowing it contained a banned substance. The ACB report criticised Warne not only for taking the tablet but also for the way he conducted himself at the hearing.

“Much of Warne’s evidence on these issues was unsatisfactory and the committee does not accept he was entirely truthful in his responses to questions about his knowledge of the ACB anti-doping policy,” it said.

“Coupled with that is his vague, unsatisfactory and inconsistent evidence about the extent of using a moduretic.”

“The committee is of the view that the evidence does not establish a reasonable belief such as would found a defence of exceptional circumstances. The use of the diuretic by Warne was a reckless act totally disregarding the possible consequences.

“He knew he was taking a chemical substance which would have some effect on his body but he made no enquiry when such enquiries were reasonably available as to whether it was a banned substance.”

When he received the ban at the weekend, Warne said he was the victim of “anti-doping hysteria” and planned to appeal.

“I have decided to accept the decision of the committee on the chin and try to move on and deal with it the best way I can,” Wednesday’s statement read.

He said that he would now be looking at other work opportunities over the next 12 months, but was not retiring from cricket.

“I am definitely going to give it my best shot to get back to the top and will continue to train hard, work on my bowling and experiment with new deliveries,” Warne said.

Top
Email This Page