Paris: Former world No. 1 Martina Hingis has all but announced her retirement from tennis. The 22-year-old Swiss told L’Equipe on Thursday she had no intention of returning to the circuit she dominated from 1997 to 2000 when she won five Grand Slam crowns and eight doubles titles.
“I have been in the game too long to know what it takes to get to the top and I’m no longer capable of it,” she said. “When you have been No. 1 for four years you cannot be satisfied with anything less. And when you can’t compete with the best... No it’s not possible to envisage a comeback.”
An operation last year caused her to miss the French Open and Wimbledon but she returned for the US Open losing to Monica Seles in the Round III.
Her last match was at Filderstadt in Germany on October 10, where she lost to Russia’s Elena Dementieva.