Melbourne: The Australian team will soon meet the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) officials amid speculation that its World Cup match in Zimbabwe next month would not go ahead.
Captain Ricky Ponting said none of his teammates had yet approached him with concerns about playing in the strife-torn African nation.
“That may happen today, I’m sure a lot of the players who have got problems and concerns will air those today,” he said.
“There have been no individuals that have come to me with any great concerns so far, so hopefully that doesn’t have to happen.”
The ACB is in favour of the February 24 match going ahead in Zimbabwe, as is the International Cricket Council.
But England’s Professional Cricketers’ Association on Monday made an “urgent request” on behalf of the England players for their match against Zimbabwe on February 13 to be shifted from Harare to South Africa.
Australian vice-captain Adam Gilchrist said last night at the Allan Border Medal evening here that the Australians needed to reassess their position in light of the developments in England.
“It’s really hard to comment because we’re trying to learn and be informed about what the scenario is,” Gilchrist said.
“We’ll learn a bit more about it but I think it’s fair to say that there’s enough interest in it and enough concern from the player group to warrant assessing it again.”
Ponting said the players had full faith in the ACB to act in the team’s best interests.
“They’ve done a fantastic job with keeping us up to date with what’s going on in Zimbabwe,” he said.
“We’ve got total trust in the ACB. What they’ve done over the last couple of years has been fantastic as far as player safety is concerned, so we’ve got no reason to be nervous.