The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This Page
Near, but yet to bid adieu: Cullinan

Durban: Out of favour with the selectors apparently for his alleged criticism of black players, former South African opener Darryl Cullinan on Friday brushed aside reports that he would be retiring from international cricket and said he had no such plans for the moment.

“The time to call it quits may be drawing near, but I haven’t made any final decision yet,” Cullinan said, negating reports in a section of the media that he would give up international cricket after his failure to make it to the World Cup squad.

The right-hander, who was banned by the United Cricket Board of South Africa (UCBSA) after he allegedly questioned the selection of black players in the team and criticised the quota system, was taken back into the fold last year following an unconditional apology.

Cullinan expressed his support for South African captain Shaun Pollock in his endeavour to win the World Cup, saying, “I believe South Africa will win the World Cup.”

Cullinan, who had made himself unavailable for the tour to England due to prior commitments, said he had recently committed himself to a, “Huge ICC development project in Africa”, but declined to elaborate, saying the details would be made public soon.

Cullinan had earlier said he would say goodbye to international cricket, but changed his mind and decided to make himself available for Test matches only. He changed his mind again and said he would play in the shorter version of the game, perhaps eyeing a World Cup berth. As luck would have it, the right-handed batsmen failed to make the cut.

Email This Page