The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This PagePrint This Page
Hussain: It can’t get worse

Sydney: Nasser Hussain denied Wednesday he planned to relinquish the England captaincy after next year’s World Cup.

Hussain’s side has endured a dismal Ashes tour since arriving in Australia, losing the first three Tests by big margins and failing to win a match so far in 11 attempts.

“I’ve not made any decisions on my future. I haven’t made any decisions at all,” Hussain told a news conference in Sydney on Wednesday. The Daily Mail on Wednesday reported that Hussain would step down as captain after the World Cup in March.

Hussain, 34, has led England to 14 wins, 12 draws and 14 losses in 40 Tests. He said England needed to look to the power of youth to find some positives from the Ashes tour.

“We just have to make sure that, character-wise, everyone who wants to go out there on Friday believes that they can beat Australia,” the captain said.

“If there is a fresh young body that we feel can do that, we’ve got to give him that opportunity. It can’t be any worse than it has gone in the last couple of months, so let’s give people opportunities.”

Hussain said England’s World Cup preparations for the tournament starting in February were already under strain because of injuries.

England have suffered a series of injury mishaps with pace bowlers Darren Gough and Simon Jones and left-arm spinner Ashley Giles sent home and Chris Silverwood also ruled out of the tour. Andrew Flintoff, John Crawley and Andrew Caddick have all missed matches.

Uncapped Lancashire paceman James Anderson, 20, had been called up from the England academy squad in Adelaide as cover for Caddick.

Off-spinner Jeremy Snape was ruled out for three weeks after breaking his thumb.

England will decide within the next 24 hours whether they will send allrounder Flintoff home or not. (Reuters)

Top
Email This PagePrint This Page