The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This PagePrint This Page
BRIEFS

New member in Sampras family

Los Angeles: US Open champion Pete Sampras and his actress wife Bridgette Wilson have announced the birth of their first child Christian Charles. A small message on Sampras’ official website stated simply, “Congratulations to Pete and Bridgette on the new addition to their family: Christian Charles.”

Sampras, 31, has not been seen on the tennis court since stunning Andre Agassi in the US Open final in early September to claim his record 14th Grand Slam. Following his victory Sampras hinted that he might retire.

Grobbelaar fined £ 1 million

London: Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar was ordered to pay more than £1 million in legal costs on Tuesday for his libel action against The Sun, which had accused him of taking bribes to fix matches.

The ruling by the House of Lords is the final chapter in the Zimbabwean star’s eight year, roller-coaster legal battle to try and clear his name. The Sun articles generated a high-profile trial in which Grobbelaar, former players Hans Segers and John Fashanu and Asian businessman Richard Lim were acquitted of criminal conspiracy charges in 1997.

Having been cleared of criminal charges at the end of a retrial, Grobbelaar sued The Sun and a High Court jury awarded him £85,000 damages in August 1999 after finding that the newspaper’s articles were libellous. That verdict was quashed and the damages stripped last January.

Disgrace for Australia

Coolum (Australia): Greg Norman said on Tuesday Australian golf had been humiliated after the opening round of the Australian Open was abandoned because of the state of the greens.

Norman, back home to compete in this weekend’s Australian PGA, said the incident damaged the credibility of the sport in Australia. “As an Australian in Florida it was really sad because it was a bit of humiliation for the game of golf in Australia,” said Norman. It really didn’t hold a whole lot of credibility for the way they structure the game of golf over here. I think they’ve got a long way to go to rebuild the damage.”

NSW recall Michael Slater

Sydney: Opening batsman Michael Slater was recalled to the New South Wales one-day team on Tuesday more than a year after his last limited overs appearance.

Slater, 32, was dropped from the Australia side during the 2001 Ashes tour and subsequently lost his place in the state team.

After a spell in Sydney grade cricket he fought his way back into the New South Wales four-day side last month.

Record crowd

Perth: Australia’s runaway wins against England in the first two Tests of the Ashes series have not dampened spectator enthusiasm with record crowds expected for the third Test starting Friday, officials said.

“The Perth Test could surpass all previous Test match attendance records at the Waca ground,” Western Australian Cricket Association chief executive Kath White said Tuesday.

Bebeto released

Riyadh: Brazil’s 1994 World Cup-winning star Bebeto has been released by his Saudi club Al-ittihad for poor form in the five games he played, the club said Tuesday.

Bebeto received $525,000 of the one-year deal worth $1.1 million.

n Cricket, Zimbabwe vs Pakistan — Third ODI live from 12.55pm on STAR Sports n Cricket, South Africa vs Sri Lanka — First ODI live from 5.55 pm on ESPN n Soccer, Uefa Champions League — from 4pm on ESPN


Top
Email This PagePrint This Page