The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Salve to go, Sorabjee to stay

New Delhi, Oct. 29: The suspense is almost over now. Attorney-general Soli Sorabjee, whose three-year tenure was coming to an end on November 3, is certain to have a second term in office.

Doubts were being raised on Sorabjee’s chances of getting appointed as attorney-general for the second time. But it seems almost settled now as solicitor-general Harish Salve himself accepted before journalists that he was no longer interested in continuing after his term ends on November 3.

Salve, though, has cited personal reasons for quitting office in his communiqué to Union law minister Jana Krishnamurthi.

Sources said Salve had been hoping to replace Sorabjee, going by the feelers he had received from the top brass of the Central government. “I was asked by the government to continue and I still share a warm relation with the government. But due to personal reasons, I will not be able to continue as solicitor-general for a small period of time,” Salve said. He, however, denied that he had resigned from his post.

“I had a difficult time convincing the government to give me a short break to attend to my personal problem,” Salve said. He was hopeful that he would be back as solicitor-general soon.

The government has also decided to continue with three out of four additional solicitor-generals, whose three-year terms were coming to an end on November 3, law ministry sources said. They are Altaf Ahmad, R.N. Trivedi, K.N. Rawal and Mukul Rohatgi. Additional solicitor-general K.K. Sood has another year before his term comes to an end.

According to a senior law ministry officer, the ministry will forward these names to the Prime Minister’s Office, which would pass on the files to the President for his approval after clearing them.

Email This PagePrint This Page