The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This PagePrint This Page
Probe sees Rajdhani sabotage

New Delhi, Oct. 3 (PTI): A railway inquiry into the Rajdhani Express mishap that killed over 100 people last month has concluded that the derailment was caused by “sabotage”.

The preliminary report of the commissioner of railway safety (Eastern circle), Mahesh Prasad, supports the “sabotage” theory floated by railway minister Nitish Kumar immediately after the derailment.

The claim was hotly contested. Deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani had ruled out sabotage and Bihar strongman Laloo Prasad Yadav said the “accident” was the result of “poor maintenance” of tracks and the century-old bridge on river Dhawa from which five bogies fell.

The railways had maintained that the bridge had not been identified as “distressed”.

Nitish Kumar today said he had not seen the report but that he knew from the moment he went to the derailment site that it was a case of sabotage.

Laloo Prasad rejected the report. “We still stand by our statement that negligence was responsible,” he said.

Top
Email This PagePrint This Page