The Telegraph
Since 1st March, 1999
Email This PagePrint This Page
Cuper harmed my career: Ronaldo

Rome: Twice World Footballer-of-the-Year Ronaldo has launched a fierce attack on Inter Milan coach Hector Cuper, accusing him of endangering his career.

“With Cuper, I risked my career,” Ronaldo said in an interview in La Gazzetta dello Sport on Thursday. “He didn’t play me when I was fit, and he made me train or kept me on the pitch when I wasn’t. At times he didn’t even follow the advice of the doctors,” he added.

The Brazilian had previously refused to reveal the reasons behind his transfer from Inter to Real Madrid, but said he had changed his mind after personal attacks by Italian fans. No one was immediately available for comment at Inter.

Ronaldo spent most of last season injured or on the bench and was substituted by Cuper in Inter’s final match of the season, when his side agonisingly let the Serie A title slip through their fingers, losing 2-4 to Lazio in Rome.

He compared his stop-start season in Italy with his explosive — and injury-free — performances at the World Cup, where he scored eight goals.

“I injured muscles four or five times (at Inter),” he said. “They were serious problems, not little ones.” His own relationship with Cuper was strained, he said.

Email This PagePrint This Page