The Telegraph
 
 
IN TODAY'S PAPER
CITY NEWSLINES
 
 
ARCHIVES
Since 1st March, 1999
 
THE TELEGRAPH
 
 
Email This PagePrint This Page
Closure of three fertiliser units okayed

New Delhi, Sept. 5: The Union Cabinet today approved the closure of Hindustan Fertilisers Corporation Ltd (HFC) units at Barauni and Durgapur and the Sindri unit of Fertiliser Corporation of India Ltd.

The decision to close down these units was based on the recommendation of the Group of Ministers set up to identify sick units and those that can be revived. The group submitted its recommendations last week.

The Cabinet also decided to give priority to Bihar whenever the government decides to set up an LNG or naphtha-based project. It also cleared the much awaited hydro power project in Himachal Pradesh—Chamera stage II. The Rs 3,919.59-crore project is expected to be complete in seven years. The 810 MW power project is expected to address the region’s power shortage problem.

The Union Cabinet also approved a perspective plan of Rs 1,800 crore for construction of new jails and renovation of old ones. The Central government will fund 75 per cent of the project while the rest 25 per cent will be borne by the state governments, with the Centre expected to provide Rs 1,350 crore while the state will give Rs 450 crore.

Top
Email This PagePrint This Page