Johannesburg: South African cricketers Monday refused to sign the controversial ICC contract for Champions Trophy after their talks with the United Cricket Board (UCB) officials failed.
The chief executive officer of the South African Cricketers Association, Tony Irish, said in a media interview here that the players demands were the same as those of players in India who have consistently refused to sign the contract.
“The players want to play in the Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka without being bound by any ICC contract,” Irish said.
The South African cricketers had earlier agreed to sign the terms but later asked for another round of discussions with UCB.
Irish said the negotiations with the UCB officials Monday had failed, jeopardising South Africa’s participation in the mini World Cup in Sri Lanka starting on September 12.
“Unless an agreement is reached I don’t think the players will be available for the Sri Lankan tournament,” Irish said.
UCB president Percy Sonn has not yet reacted to the stand of the players but he has already indicated that the players were contracted to the board and they were duty-bound to fulfil their contractual obligations.